Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sevai Kheer- Vermicelli Pudding

It was one of those days when basically you have had a rough day at work and you feel like coming home to something warm and you keep thinking "aaj kuch meetha khane ka mann kar raha hai"(Dir Trans: I feel like having something sweet)
I rumbled through the food cupboard and found a sevai (vermicelli) packet and decided to do little R&D about Vermicelli kheer. This is my version made with whatever ingredients I had in my storage.



Ingredients:

1. Around 1 litre milk
2. 1/2 cup fine vermicelli ( I dont break my vermicelli because i like the strands to be long but upto you because it is difficult frying them when they are long)
3. 1 tsp. ghee
4. 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
5. Around 3/4 cup sugar
6. 1,2 green elaichi (green cardamom) pods
7. 10 almonds, blanched and thinly slivered. Cut another 5 and keep them aside . We will use them for garnish

I love almonds so I use only almonds. You can use any nuts that you like, cashews , pistachios etc


Preparation :
1. Heat ghee in a deep kadhai or pan.
2. Add elaichi pods and fry them for like 30 secs.
2. Add the vermicelli and slightly roast it ensuring it doesnt get too dark/burnt
3. Heat milk in a separate burner.
4. Add hot milk to the pan containing the vermicelli, stir gently to bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and  allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the sugar.
7. Add cardamom, cardamom, and  almonds.
8. Garnish with more almonds (you know i love almonds by now :)
9.Put in the fridge and serve it cold (You can serve it hot as well though my suggestion is to serve it chilled)

Until the next recipe , Keep cooking and smiling :)



No comments:

Post a Comment